Monday, April 29, 2019

"THE MAKEOVER"

It's time for a makeover !!!

I was reminiscing over old photographs and realizing just how quickly time passes. Our home has undergone quite a lot of renovations throughout the years. 
Already it needs a Spring cleaning and more repairs.


A nice  cup of tea always helps to lift the spirits and brighten the chore list.


There is nothing lovlier than 


Ansley's ' American Beauty" teaset.


Most people think that living in a old Victorian is romantic, but really it's a labour of love, especially when you don't have an "upstairs downstair" staff like Downtown Abbey.



Before unlocking the doors and taking on a two-hundred year-old Victorian



 it is wise to tread very carefully and think  about what might be  lurking 


 behind closed doors. If walls had ears ... what stories they would tell !!!
AND
The best advise would be to ....


WAIT


DON'T DO IT

Don't even start renovating unless,

 YOU
LOVE
CHALLENGE.



AH ...
Patience is a virtue !!!

            A person never knows what decaying curiosities 
                                        they might find.


                                         OMG ...  there  were
                                               ONE,
                                                       two,
                                                            three,
                                                                    four


                                                      FIVE ...
                                   layers of wallpaper,
                    a  double thick  Edwardian Oil Cloth
           and a myriad of crumbling lath and plaster walls.
                                   ( COUGH< COUGH)


                                                                  Four weeks later,
                                        never mind the house

                                            You're a MESS !!!

(via pinterest)


                                You now befit the title of ,
                                           "Cinderella" ...
                         breathing in all the dust, ( Achoo) 
                    sweeping up the wallpaper, wall chips, 
         and just generally begrudging the endless clean-up.

          Did I mention that I have allergies.( SNIFF SNIFF)
       Renovating is like Spring housecleaning times twenty.

                  Where is my fairy god-mother?

  The 'GOOD NEWS' is that you only have to do one room at 
   a time. In our case, it has been more like one room per year
            since we were dealing  with 'heritage' elements.

                                             LADIES
                                    I NEED A DRINK
               of good old "Earl Grey" before I continue,


                                            How about you?

  There are so many hair-rasing details to be considered
 when you are trying to maintain the historical integrity
                                      of an old home ...
                                                                        
                                               LIKE ....
                               
                                                                    ( via pinterest)

                    How do you tell the"Old Lady" 
                                         that she needs 
                                   a complete Makeover?
                                                         

                                                                 AND
                    This is where it all begins.

                                                                 ( via pinterest)
I am going in for a knee surgery on Wednesday, so I might be a little late responding to your comments in the weeks to come.
Yes, I am beginning to need a makeover myself.( Ha Ha) 

We, humans are like old houses, our bones get a little creaky ...
(no matter how young you are) and the nails and lumber have to be replaced. Thank goodness we live in this day and age of medical advancement.


A little replacement therapy is always a healthy alternative .
INCIDENTLY
                           I'm not as old as the "Grand Lady".   
                   I  think, that I can still roller skate.( Ha Ha)                                            


       This Springtime rejuvenation will be good for the soul

                                       In the meantime ... 
            What do you think about  the color that I chose? 

                                           It's called ...
            " Frankly Scarlett ", I don't give a  _______ from 
                       the epic movie, ' Gone With The Wind"
                        Don't you agree, that it is a fiesty color, 
                            that echoes the charm of a real old
                                      " Grand Lady".
        

                                                       Ladies ...
                        Please do  take your time, sit back, 
                ponder the color and finish your cup of tea.


                               I will  look forward to seeing you soon.
                   Maybe, you would like to see more of the 
            music room's personality in our future teatime visits !!!

  
                                                    ENJOY YOUR WEEK
                                     SWEET FRIENDS !!!

37 comments:

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I'm excited to see the renovation project on your grand old Victorian home, Zaa! I can't imagine removing five layers of wallpaper. I personally have vowed to never put up wallpaper again. We've had a devil of a time removing it, even though we put the proper paint before adhering it to the wall. You guys are very brave. I know it is a labor of love and your music room curved wall is gorgeous. Just like your tea times here. I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday and praying for a quick recovery and easy surgery. Take care of yourself, my friend!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Your house is amazing! A dream for me! I realized after our last home, built in 1900, that I am no longer stuck on having an antique house. The renovations we did were rewarding though and we were paid back well in resale. The paint color Frankly Scarlett is so perfect for the Victorian. I am looking forward to seeing more of the work you guys do so I can live vicariously through you!
Wishing you well with the surgery along with a quick recovery.

Chris Lally said...

Zaa, my thoughts and prayers will be with you on Wednesday. Trusting that all will go well, and that you'll enjoy a very quick recovery:)
And the house... Oh, my gosh! What a challenge. But what satisfaction when she is restored to her original beauty!
Wonder how many cups of tea have been consumed in that house?

Granny Marigold said...

I can only imagine how much work goes into renovating "The Grand Lady"!! I'm sure the end result is worth it though. Your house is amazing.

Hope your knee surgery goes well on Wednesday.

Valerie-Jael said...

It must be a HUGE job, but will be worthwhile when it is done, and you can live in all the newly renovated splendour. Have fun! And good luck with the knee job. I got a new knee 3 years back and am very happy with it. Hugs, Valerie

Natalia said...

The home is so stunning, how I would love to live there! Your teaset is so pretty☺☺

Zaa said...

Thanks, Martha Ellen... I'll be glad when the reno's are over, but it takes time and patience... hopefully I'll be up and around...The least I can do is boss Kim around( haha) for now. Old homes do have lovely features, like curved walls and little nooks...That is what makes them romantic... I'm so glad that you had time for tea sweet Friend... Thanks for the kind wishes...xoxoxox

Zaa said...

Hey Val ... I'm still dreaming of all those beautiful plants that I saw on your post ...that is my dream for this property and old fashioned garden with unusual Victorian plants... however, old homes do wear you out. ...Thanks for your teatime visit. Have a fabulous week. Hugs

Zaa said...

Dear Lally ..You are so kind.. everything will be fine...I just don't like missing our weekly gatherings( haha)....I so enjoy your art post ... and wow...I'd love to be with you on that Oregon beach...relaxing...Big Hugs

Zaa said...

Hey Marigold...Thanks for stopping over for tea...I bet the sun is shining here in beautiful BC...hopefully I will get out there this summer for some of those beautiful walks. ... Enjoy your day, my Friend. ... Hugs

Zaa said...

Thanks for the teatime visit, Val ... It nice to know that you had such a positive result from your surgery. I'm looking forward to it being over( ha Ha) I need to get on my dancing shoes. ... Yes, renovations take their toll too... it just seems to go on and on ... but I am always happy with the results... Please do have a lovely week. ... Hugs

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Oh My - we love old homes. This brings back many memoeries! We purchased a 1913 home and spent 6 mos. just cleaning it so we could move it with the kids. We were in our glory. Our family and friends thought we were nuts! It had 33 windows and I pesonally painted every one of them. I know what you mean about layers of wall paper. Keep scraping was our motto! Joe redid all the electric chandeliers and the fireplace and staires. I love your color scheme! It is definitely a labor of love. Sorry to hear about your surgery. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Enjoy your tea time when you are recovering!

Zaa said...

Hey Nancy ... Yes...Sometimes we feel that we are nutty. ... Maybe we should have started twenty years ago ( Ha Ha)... but I never could live in a new house. ... We all need something to do in our retirement. ... I'd love to see photos of your reno. I just love everything vintage. ... I'm so happy that you had time for a teatime chat. Thanks for your kind wishes. ... Hugs

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Wow, what a major renovation you are taking on, wow I give you a lot of credit! I look forward to seeing the end results - and good luck with your knee surgery!

Zaa said...

Thanks, Debbie ... Yes, It is a journey that we should have started twenty years ago( Ha Ha)... I'm so glad that had time to stop over for tea... Hopefully, you have a little sunshine to get you through the week...ENJOY...Hugs

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Zaa, it certainly is a labor of love. I can tell that your "grand old lady" is much fancier and finer than mine and it is so beautiful. I can just imagine what beauty you are uncovering. Ours is so small in comparison (I can tell by the photos) to yours and it has taken us almost 30 years. Of course, mind changing doesn't really help! There have been many times over the years that a drink was needed and something stronger than tea. Thank you for your kind visit, as always, I do love blue and white (but I also love your Gone With The Wind color too. Our guest room has shades of it.) That blue and white candle holder that you say you would love to rub your hands over is from Joanne's. Just a cheap little thing but so pretty. The two figures are painted on velvet (a pillow). They belonged to my grandmother so I don't know how old it is. Have a good week, my friend..xxoJudy

Jeanie said...

First of all, Zaa, I send you good wishes for your knee surgery. I know all will go well and such but I'll be adding my good wishes for a speedy recovery. I get the reno thing. As much as I'd love a wonderful Victorian I know I don't have it in me to do all one might need. So hats off to you both on your reno work! The house is lovely and will only be more so!

Thanks for coming over and leaving such a lovely comment on my blog. I always love your visits! I'll pass your good wishes to Rick, too!

Louca por porcelana said...

Zaa,I hope your surgery goes well.God bless you.Your home is amazing and that teacup is wonderful.How gorgeous your posts are!So clever,beautiful and fun...As ever!

Zaa said...

Thanks Judy ... I don't think that you ever finish renovating grand old Victorian ... She is like a fine wine ... It's so nice to know the history of your lovely china ... I so enjoy your post, my Friend... ENJOY your week...Hugs

Zaa said...

Thanks for the visit Jeanie... You are always so welcome to the teatime, sweet Lady... Hugs to you both..xoxox

Zaa said...

Maristella... It is so nice to hear from you ... I always look forward to chatting with you, dear lady ...I hope that you are happy and healthy today enjoying the beautiful sunshine...BIG HUGS

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I do pray that you have a full recovery and back to yourself in no time Zaa. Yes, we all get a few crinks here and there don't we? Oh my! That home will be beautiful when you are done. A labor of love is so very true! Oh I just can't image going through all that wall paper. Can't wait to see the progress. Take care of yourself lovely lady and drink an extra cup of tea for me out of that beautiful tea cup. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sandra said...

Prayers for your knee surgery. And I would like to let you know that there are people like me that really appreciate people like you who will take the time and renovate these beautiful homes from the past. I wish more Grand Old Ladies could be restored. The wall turned out beautiful and what a lovely color you chose. For now, take time to take care of yourself.

Rämmengården said...

Hello I love The Nice pictures. Hugs Nina

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Wow, Zaa! There was a time in my life when I would have happily tackled the old house, but that was a while ago. You are brave souls! Hope your knee surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery. You *have* to, you have a lot of work to do!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, truly a labor of love, dear Zaa! It did turn out fabulous, darling, and the color is perfect, I think. I'll be thinking of you while you recuperate. Take good care of yourself and take it nice and slow. Sending hugs xx Karen

DeniseinVA said...

Great post! A lot of hard work I am sure and it's easy for me to envision what it will look like when it is all done. Absolutely fabulous :) Speedy recovery from the knee surgery.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

My former home was a 132-year-old Victorian farmhouse. Nothing was easy in that place. Once we tried to put a simple hook into the kitchen ceiling in order to hang an herb planter, and discovered two ceilings above the existing one and it took us all day! I feel your pain. Best of luck with your knee surgery!

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Just checking in with you to see how you are feeling. Hope the surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery! Hope you are being served some great tea! Hugs!!

Zaa said...

Thanks for the Well- Wishes Cindy ... I so enjoyed your Birthday post...Big Hugs, Sweet Lady !!!

Zaa said...

Thank You Sandra ... Do you have a posting site, My friend?... I so enjoy your teatime visits... Hugs

Zaa said...

Hey Jean... Thanks for being my teatime cheering section ( ha Ha)...Hugs

Zaa said...

Thanks, Karen ... Teatime is always more enjoyable with a friend...Hugs

Tanza Erlambang said...

great house with beautiful views from window.
I love your Tea set too...

# Have a wonderful weekend

Red Rose Alley said...

I have a blog friend who lives in an old house and always doing repairs and renovation. Yes, it's a lot of work, but your house is so charming, Zaa. The fireplace mantel and the wood work is gorgeous. I love that tea cup and your beautiful porcelain lady. Thanks for giving us a peek in your home, and all the hard work you're doing on your house will surely pay off. Your home says "welcome" to me. : )

~Sheri

Zaa said...

Thank You Tanza.So glad that you came for tea...Hugs

Zaa said...

Hey Sheri ..You are welcome for tea anytime... Big Hugs