Monday, April 8, 2019

“ GREEN TEA"


                               I lived in Japan for five years.
                  

 and  gratefully experienced  the cultural pleasures of fresh tea, green tea to be exact. Funnily enough, the first green tea in Japan was produced in the Fukuoka prefecture where I was living.  


  The location was famous for it warm pleasant climate and rich volcanic soil which made it perfect for growing tea. YES, I was living on the island of tea, glorious tea and in every mall or  street corner there  were a myriad of tea tasting stalls and restaurants.
                    No wonder I'm mad about tea!

                              
The horticultural landscaping is especially stunning during 
     the Springtime, where thatched houses and perfectly 
               manicured tea fields abound as eye candy.  
Local and cultural visitors are likely to be awestruck with 
         the picturesque beauty of the green surroundings.

Of course, the beauty of Cherry Blossom season  also is a gift.
It takes your breath away.

                                                           (pictures taken in Arita, Japan)
More and more green tea is being consumed due to it's health benefits. Thankfully it has less caffeine than black tea so you can enjoy two or three cups before getting that caffeine high, or headache as I call it.   
                       Check here for more information about tea. 
                                                       (www.teapause.com )

     Tea is the second most drinkable beverage in the world 
        and fortunately we have many different flavors and 
                               aromas  to choose from. 
     It isn't hard to find a favorite tea fix in this day and age,
         but sometimes you have to ask the question: 
                                    Do I like green tea?

                                  
Matcha tea seems to be everywhere these days. In Japan, the tea ceremony is not reserved for just high class circles, all people and visitors seem to find this beverage as an acquired part of their daily life. 


                                                                    (via Pinterest)

   I was lucky enough to have a special Friend' "Hiroko", 
          who re-created the ceremony for my birthday. 
       She had all the traditional bowls and untensils, 
            which are commercially very expensive. 
While I do enjoy my tea "  big time."... Most of us, might find it a difficult decision to pay $100 - $200.00 for a ceramic  
      " Chawan" labeled tea ceremony bowl. ( Yikes)




        In Japan the tea ceremony  is a highly spiritual practise designed to promote, tranquility, harmony, respect and purity.
             The authenic tea ceremony is a beautiful, once
          in a lifetime visual experience that last for hours.
                            
         The actual ceremonial steps for the tea making 
                           are quite humble and simple.

                                           To Begin:
                    You thoroughly clean the "Chawans" and 
                                         boil the water,



                                                                 (www.teapause.com )

                                                               then,
              you  serve a sweet treat to guests before the tea,
                                            ( yummy)


                                                                       next,
                   you mix powdered bitter green tea( Matcha) 
                        and water to make the frothy tea, 
                             and serve it to your guests.

                          ( My sweet friends, Carmen from Argentina and Hiroko/Japan)

In Japan, tea has quite an impact on religion, philosophy, poetry, architecture, flower arranging, painting and the arts and crafts which include art carving, carpentry and pottery.

Tea is also an important past-time from my early childhood, 
          so I too, feel influenced by it's history and rituals.

                                 You all know that,
               I'm a bit of a collector, so before I left Japan,
                I splurged on an authenic handmade teaset.


             I
           love 
 the bold  floral 
     artwork  
          and 
      vibrant 
  green colors of 
this  ceramic ware.





                    It's not everyone's cup of tea( ha ha) 
        Asians, normally prefer a more muted palette but 
                    it certainly put a smile on my face.


       I acquired two friendly little teapots in this collection. 

        Could you could resist this  cheeky little one cupper?




        The pretty duo( below) made me think of lotus blossoms



I  just couldn't decide upon the saucers, so I purchased a 
variety of both the rattan and wooden leaf styled patterns. 



Ladies ,whenever you come over for a " Green " teatime, you may have your own sweet choice of both a teapot  and a teacup. The only prerequisite is that I am able to enjoy your company for more than one cup of tea.

                                      

                                            ENJOY 
                                    A 
           HEALTHY AND  HAPPY WEEK





















































54 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful post, you must have had a wonderful time in Japan. Lovely to see the beautiful photos and to read about what you experienced there. I must confess, though - I am not a tea drinker but a coffee lover! Hugs, Valerie

Zaa said...

Thanks for the visit Valerie....
I just can't seem to make a good cup of coffee... but my tea always tastes wonderful ... My children, however, are coffee hounds who often make me special coffees which I really do enjoy... Maybe I need coffee making lessons( Ha Ha)...Hugs

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Zaa, this was a really beautiful post. Your photos of Japan are exceptional and I enjoyed learning how to do tea right..your china is beautiful also. Thanks for your visit to me and Happy Monday..Judy

Maristela Guilherme said...

Fotos lindas! O Japão é um país especial. Gostaria de visitar.
Sua porcelana é linda, com certeza o chá fica ainda mais gostoso.
Boa semana.
bjs

Miss Val's Creations said...

It must have been amazing to live in Japan. The landscape is stunning! I do love green tea too. A comforting beverage full of benefits! Your Japanese tea ware is so beautiful.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

How absolutely wonderful to have lived in Japan in a beautiful spot made for tea! I have never been to a Japanese tea ceremony, but have read about it! How special to have your friend and expert provide tea for you! Your tea pieces are lovely. I like the bold colors and can definitely see the lotus blossom. The saucer is quite unique as is the teapot. How wonderful you have shared your lovely experiences with us. Thank you.

Zaa said...

Thank You for coming to tea Judy..Hugs

Zaa said...

Welcome Maristela ... I do hope that you enjoyed your ' green' tea...hugs

Zaa said...

Hey Val... I wonder if they by chance have a tearoom in that fabulous new library... Please stop over again soon...Hugs

Zaa said...

Dear Marth Ellen... Knowing that you love tradition and history, I'm sure it would delight you, my friend... I'm so happy that had the time to stop over for a visit...Big Hugs

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

I loved this post. I didn’t know a lot of what you shared. I am sharing on my blog tomorrow about my first cup of English Breakfast tea. I am trying to learn more. That tea cup is lovely!!!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I truly enjoyed this beautiful post sharing about my favorite kind of tea! I found I loved green tea years ago and it has become my favorite tea of all. How wonderful that you got to learn and experience the culture of Japanese green tea! It seems like quite a big ceremonial time, which I did not know about. I enjoyed all your pictures and sharing of your time living in Japan. Beautiful choice of teapot and teacup to bring home as a souvenir too! Thank you for sharing about your time in Japan, blessings!

Zaa said...

Thanks Chrissy... I'm looking forward to sharing some English tea with you ...Hugs

Zaa said...

So happy to have a little teatime chat with you Marilyn... I'll be popping over today to visit you too... Hugs

Creations By Cindy said...

Zaa, I loved reading about your tea time in Japan. I enjoy hearing how other cultures do things. How very interesting. I too enjoy a cup of green tea and actually, I need to make it a daily habit to include some green tea especially for all the health benefits. Matter of fact, I think I might just go make myself a cup of green tea! Hugs to you dear lady.
Cindy

Tanza Erlambang said...

Yes, Matcha so bitter but healthy
Have a great day

Jeanie said...

I adore your one cupper -- cutest thing ever! What a fascinating post, Zaa. I do regret that during our visit to Japan that, although we drank plenty of tea, we never experienced an official tea ceremony. I think it would be fascinating and so meaningful. I loved all your photos -- thanks for sharing. I love it when I learn something new about a blog friend!

Zaa said...

Hey Cindy ...Thanks for the sweet visit and teatime chat... Enjoy your green tea, my Friend...Big Hugs

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a lovely post! And tea is such a healthy drink that we can all enjoy. The tea pot and cup are beautiful! Enjoy your week sweet lady!

Zaa said...

Thanks, Tanza... I'm so happy that you visit for teatime. Enjoy your week ... Hugs

Zaa said...

Thanks for the visit Jeanie... Yes, an official Tea Ceremony is so very beautiful .. but you have to book well in advance to get tickets. It is really quite a gracious ritual. I'm just popping over to see you, sweet girl... Hugs

Zaa said...

Hey Diane ...I'm still thinking about your sweet " Pooh " cards. They are so adorable... Thanks for taking a tea break here ...I hope that enjoyed the flavor.....Enjoy your week, My Friend....Hugs

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Lovely photos. They almost look animated. Those gardens are amazing. I drink too much coffee...

Zaa said...

Welcome Soul...Your hollyhocks are lingering in my garden plans. They are so beautiful... It is so nice to have you for teatime...hugs

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

So many fascinating facts! It's funny that I don't often associate TEA with Japan, but more England which doesn't make sense lol.

Zaa said...

SO nice to see you here Lauren... The English are famous for their afternoon teatime ... both really quite different experiences ... that's what makes tea so interesting... Enjoy your week, Dear Lady...Hugs

Red Rose Alley said...

Zaa, I really love green tea, but haven't had it in awhile. After reading your post, I must get some now! The area you lived in Japan is beautiful. Love those cherry blossom trees. The tea fields are so groomed and pretty. I'm familiar with the health benefits of green tea, but learned a few also. The tea ceremony sounds wonderful. Your floral tea set is a treasure that you brought home from Japan. And the last picture is interesting. Love to see the hairstyles and dresses of different cultures.

What a lovely post this is, Zaa.

~Sheri

Debby Ray said...

You know, I don't know that I have ever really tasted green tea....maybe just a sip from one of those bottles of cold green tea that you can buy at any store. Does that even qualify? I have heard all of the health benefits about it for sure. I think I actually have some hot tea bags at home...I should try it for sure! Your photos from Japan are absolutely stunning!

Zaa said...

Thanks, Sheri ...I'm so happy to share a healthy cheery cup of green tea with you, my Friend...Big Hugs

Zaa said...

Dear Debbie ...I am so pleased to have a little teatime chat with you. Green tea is a healthy choice... I hope that you enjoy it. sweet lady...Hugs

Henny Penny said...

I enjoyed this post. very much. I am not much of a tea drinker, but have always wanted to be. A cup of hot tea sounds so fine, but then I am always disappointed. I love a cup of strong coffee early every morning. I had no idea that green tea was so healthy and good for us. I do love your tea set.

Thelma said...

It must have been awesome to live in Japan. It looks so beautiful there in your photos. You dishes are beautiful also. I love afternoon tea. I do drink green tea occasionally. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am your newest member. Happy Spring!.

Zaa said...

Dear Henny Penny ... So pleased that you stopped over for a chat... I serve coffee too( ha ha)... Have a wonderful week-end...I'll be over to visit you soon...hugs

Zaa said...

Welcome, Thelma... I'll be sure to set an extra teacup out for you...I'm still dreaming of your " Maple Pie( ha ha)...Hugs

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

I so enjoyed reading your blog. What a wonderful experience for you to live in Japan. I always find it interesting to learn about different countries and their traditions. My daughter is big on green tea so when ever we are together we celebrate with a tea set my cousin brought me from Japan. I loved seeing all your wonderful photos, especially the "sweet treats" and your teapots! Have a wonderful weekend!

Zaa said...

Thanks, Nancy ... How wonderful that you are so familiar with Japanese tea... I'm still thinking about your little gingham bunny cards...Too cute...Have a Happy week-end...Hugs

Margie said...

I love the teal accents in your pretty Japanese tea set. A friend of mine recently came back from a trip to Japan and she brought me back some green teas, as well as some interesting green tea candy.

Thanks for the visit!

Zaa said...

Thanks Margie ... Green Tea candy would be delicious... Enjoy your tea, my Friend...Hugs

DeniseinVA said...

Gorgeous photos! What a great experience this must have been. Years ago we were host to several young Japanese midshipmen and all spoke excellent English. They were instructed to talk to as many of us as they could to practice. I was very impressed. I wish I could remember more of the conversations but the officer in charge told us his father was a Shinto Priest, which I found very interesting. We have friends who were stationed in Japan for a while also and from their photos and experiences, I would enjoy visiting Japan. Hopefully one day :) Thank you for sharing these amazing photos and have a great weekend.

Zaa said...

Welcome, Denise ... It sounds like you had a very special adventure with the young midshipmen. Yes, the Japanese really like to practice their English. I'm so pleased that stop over for tea. Please do come again soon...Hugs

CHERI said...

What an interesting post...and the pictures are gorgeous!!! I have always wanted to travel and thought Japan and/or China would be so interesting and informative. I think we Americans could learn a LOT about life and living from the Asians. I don't really care for hot tea (unless I'm down with the crud), but here in the south we sure do love our sweet iced tea:) A friend visited China a couple years ago and her pictures & stories were so interesting. Maybe someday!!!

Zaa said...

Thanks for the teatime chat, Cheri... The nice thing about tea is that you can enjoy it on ice( ha Ha) and green ice tea is delicious ..however, I do know that some southern ice tea is just the ultimate on a hot day...ENJOY your week-end sweet lady...Hugs

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Zaa, loved this post--like a mini vacation for me! I am so blessed to have been born with my mother's and grandmother's ability to consume vast quantities of strong black tea and be unaffected by the caffeine. The caffeine in even just one cup of coffee, however, has multiple horrible effects on me, including the headache you mentioned.

Himawan Sant said...

A beautiful article ..., telling the results of tea plantations in Japan and the procedures for drinking tea there.

You are very lucky to have lived there, it was very pleasant, Zaa ..

Greetings, Hinawan Sant

Zaa said...

Hi Jean... I do like coffee but I only drink lattes as I do get headaches... Green tea has less caffeine than black so it can be consumed on a more regular basis...Thanks for the visit...Hugs

Zaa said...

Welcome, Hinawan... The tea ceremony is much more gracious but tea is generally a most honorable past-time in Japan. I really enjoyed all their traditions. ... and I enjoyed your visit.Please do come again soon.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely informative post and all your pictures were lovely to see.
It was a wonderful experience for you to live in Japan.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Bevie Sams said...

I so enjoyed your last post, and am said I haven't visited for so long...I will be back soon tho...May you have a very blessed week!!!

blooming home and garden said...

Beautiful... I have always wanted to see the cherryblossom in Japan🌸
Lovely easter,

Hugs, Ida

Zaa said...

Thanks for your sweet visit Low carb...hugs

Zaa said...

Welcome Bevie ..I'm pleased to hear from you and so glad that you stopped over for tea time..Please do come again soon.

hugs

Zaa said...

Thanks for stopping over Ida... Wishing you a Happy Easter...Hugs

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Such an interesting post...I loved seeing your photos from Japan. I lived there for 3-1/2 years as a young girl, and it is always fun for me to see what it is like now. Your tea set is beautiful. My mother brought back a set from Japan...it is at home with my niece now. The tea ceremony must be wonderful to see!

Zaa said...

Welcome, Linda...
It always exciting to experience the culture of other countries... How lovely that you were able to enjoy Japanese life... It's so nice to have you for tea... Wishing you a Happy Easter...Hugs