Monday, February 21, 2011

" LOVE NOTES "

Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh.
SCARLETT
You're a fool, Rhett Butler; when you know I shall always love another man.
RHETT
Stop it. Do you hear me, Scarlett? Stop it! No more of that talk( he kisses her)
SCARLETT
Rhett, don't. I shall faint
RHETT
I want you to faint. That's what you were meant for; None of the fools you've ever known have kissed you like this, have they? Your Charles or your Frank or your stupid Ashley?(they kiss)
RHETT
Say you're going to marry me.Say yes. Say it.
SCARLETT
Yes
RHETT
Are you sure you mean it? You don't want to take it back?
SCARLETT
No
RHETT
Look at me and try to tell me the truth. Did you say yes because if my money?
SCARLETT
Well, yes. Partly.


Drama, Drama, Drama...  Isn't it wonderful ... Love is  drama and so are the sentimental remembrances of love's expressions in Victorian times. 

While modern  Love dominates itself with buying love  from storekeepers shelves  filled with  chocolates, jewels and lingerie... Victorians concepts display a more personal approach to courtship and this thing called ....  " Love "

Imagine receiving a magical folding "Puzzle Purse Valentine".... This secretive little technique folds up into such a tiny packet , that a message  could easily be slipped into a loved ones hand without any one noticing.

Don't you just adore the intrigue !!!! I'll bet they met one another  in a sun drenched   garden, by a pastoral river on a deserted, dusty path filled with the scent of lilacs ...

 Can you imagine opening up each numbered little fold to gradually view the images and love messages and poems written especially for you? . AH ..My heart be still ( fan yourself and cool down ladies  )

The prize is in the center where a romantic image or special memento such as a ring or lock of hair is received ... Well,  I don't care much for the lock of hair,  but PLEASE ...  I'd love the ring( Ha ha)  .... It's a ruby surrounded by precious diamond and engraved with I love you... Sigh !!!!

I'm still practising this paper technique trying  to duplicate it's  design... It's alittle harder than one might think ( Tee Hee )


Yes .... Victorians were very creative and I dare say, that most men and women  utilized their  artistic talents in one way or another.... Here's another amazing handmade token of love... that I found.


This 1850 Valentine is two delicate, pink paper hearts woven together with an additional 8 tiny gold paper hearts added, then  woven into the corners.  In the center, is what I call the "jewel" ...  another even tinier woven heart and a hand sitting on top of a carefully woven knot of love that has been tenderly coiled by a lock of the owners hair. How romantic and ingenius can you get !!!! ... I would imagine, it was made by a young girl.


Our modern cards bear little resemblance to the paper confection of the Victorian era with their lace, ribbons and handmade  beauty... However the  visions of romantic love is a message that spans centuries and is intertwined  into our culture and history every February... Thank goodness....  Where would I be without my heart shaped candy box...  Hmmmm .... probably thin and  gorgeous  !!! Va -va -Voom


Luckily .... There is a trend to once more  create and embellish cards declaring not quite the  undying love of the years gone by, but a love that lasts an undisclosed week or two( ha ha) Hopefully longer... I've been married for 35 years to my Prince Charming... How about you ladies?


In the true spirit of the  Victorian Lady ... you might want to try your hand at making a little love note or heart for someone you love.. and it doesn't even have to be Valentine's Day ... It could be a" Just Because "day.

SHHHHHHH...It will be our little secret ...I won't tell any of the teatime ladies !!!... during the gossip session.... Now ... Would you like a scone  with your tea?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very special, i love your Atc's Roslind!
maybe we could exchange some, besides
the ones from our group.
Let me know
Hugs

Zaa said...

It's always nice to exchange ATc's Sol.. Thanks for the visit, my Friend xoxox