Monday, July 20, 2015

" MORIAGE TEA "

" RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD ", as the  garden drinks up the much needed droplets of water that is  quenching  it's  thirst ...  I'm just sitting here humming that old song and trying to decide what to pack for my trip to Vancouver. My mother-in-law will be celebrating her 98th birthday soon.

 

 Sweet Peggy is rising to the occasion, setting a goal for herself to be able to attend a Chinese supper out of her hospital room, where she is recuperating from a broken pelvis, poor dear ... However, she wants to make the effort, so we
are accommodating her wishes.



Today, as I prepare for the journey, I'm settling into a nice cup of tea and a teatime chat with
 all of you lovely ladies.... WELCOME.



I have quite a large collection of Japanese tea sets, collected, while living in Japan.

Throughout the years, I have visited many Asian pottery areas that   have been in existence, for over 500 years ... It is so enlightening, to  experience and realize the artistry and history of Japanese folk arts and crafts. 

There is nothing particularly special about today's tea set except, the pretty motif, the colour black, the fluted pedestal on the bottom of the cup and ... of  course, the the price tag ... five dollars !!!!


                        " WAIT A MINUTE " 


             That's a whole lot of special ( ha ha)...

 plus, it has an extra wide mouth, which means, 
                                  MORE
                         tea,in the teacup.



The teapot is another matter ... It was found in a dusty old, broken down store, at the side of the road, laying on a earthen floor, amongst a myriad of other vintage piece ...  each unique, different and with a history. I think, it was the glimmer of gold gilding that caught my eye, as the dust on it was at least two inches thick ... Once,  I got it home, I realized,  that it was a handpainted, Satsuma Moriage teapot.




Moriage is a term used to describe the fine and delicate layering or placing of clay pieces of pottery. The type of clay that is used for this method is known as 'slip' and is thicker and stickier that the clay used for the actual item.



Centuries ago,the Japanese potters were enthused with this method and used it to create many brilliant designs. This beautiful  technique and method of decorating, is now used extensively, all over the world... however the vintage pieces are most lovely.




 In the case of Satsuma pottery, the clay is often added in small circles or bumps to decorate the piece.  On Moriage pottery,  you will often see raised dots and designs artistically painted in different colours ... These are the moriage layers that are built up slowly as the piece is made and fired during each layer ... then, more raised areas are added before the piece is finished.



These raised areas  add to the overall design, making them more decorative and unique compared to just a painted piece of pottery. The combination of hand painted designs, moriage and beading make some of the Satsuma pieces very collectible and valuable. One must be so careful when washing a teapot or pottery with this type of decoration, as over time it could be easily damaged.




Most of the time, this teapot sits in the china cabinet, but today, I wanted to share my dusty old antique with you, before packing it away  for another millennium. THANKS FOR THE TEATIME  VISIT !!!



           TODAY, I'm sharing teatime with:
                Sandi: Rose Chintz Cottage
                Ruth  : Antiques and Teacups
                Bernideen's Teatime Blog
                Martha's Favorites


24 comments:

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Hi Zaa,
I came by earlist for a visit, but your post wasn't up yet. Thank you for your lovely visit and kind words at my tea party.
Your figurine hostess is such a pretty thing! I do love your thrifted, pedestal teacup...what a beauty. Thank you for sharing your Satsuma teapot and providing all the information on how it was made. What a work of art!! I can see why it is kept in the china cabinet for most of the time.
I hope dear Peggy will enjoy her 98th birthday party!!! Safe travels to Vancouver, sweet friend!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello my friend and thank you for sharing with us today even though you are busy preparing for your trip. I do hope your dear mother-in-law heals up quickly.
Another lovely teacup and that teapot is surely a treasure! I enjoyed reading all about it. It is quite the work of art. Do you ever use it? Thank you for joining me for tea today and have a good flight.

Blessings,
Sandi

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh, I forgot to mention your figurine. She's a darling!

Zaa said...


Thanks Kitty ...I'm hoping to take lots of pictures, if all goes well with Peggy..So glad that you stopped over for teatime...Hugs

Zaa said...

Dear Sandi ..Thank you for all the lovely comments...My MIL is a real trouper and I really do hope she'll be able to get her wish....In regards to the teapot...This is the first time I've used it ...and probably it's best to just keep it on display because it's so old... and gracious how the dust collects on all those little edges( ha ha)...ENJOY your week, my Friend...Hugs

Margie said...

What a gorgeous teapot and teacup! It was interesting to learn about Moriage artwork. Now I gotta keep an eye out for one during my thrifting.

Antiques And Teacups said...

I hope your trip to Vancouver goes well, and that your MIL heals quickly. I do love moriage! I love the striking colors...the teapot has Imari colors, a favorite, but I love the black and white for contrast. Your lovely helper is so charming! Have a good, safe trip and return with good news. Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea.
Ruth

Zaa said...

Thanks for your sweet visit Margie...Have a lovely week..hugs

Zaa said...

Hey Ruth ... While watering my hanging baskets I'm thinking of your beautiful street baskets bursting with flowers.( sigh) I, too appreciate the artistry of the moriage and other interesting old world designs...I had my fairy helper today just keep the magic going... She and I were pleased to have you for teatime...Bright Blessings for a Happy week, my Friend...Hugs

The Charm of Home said...

Your teapot is beautiful and I love that Japanese quote!
Sherry

Karen said...

Happy Birthday to your m other-in-law! I admire her wish to celebrate the day even though she is recovering from her fall. I learned so much from your post today! I have always admired the Satsuma china. My mother had several pieces but she really didn't know about the production of the china, she just knew she liked it. She loved all things oriental and traveled with her husband to Japan and Hong Kong several times. Her home was filled with oriental furnishings.

Zaa said...

Greetings Sherrie... I so pleased that you stopped in for teatime..Please come again soon...hugs

Zaa said...

Thanks Karen... It always nice to connect the present with the past...suddenly it all comes together...I too was amazed at the beauty and artistry of the Satsuma pottery... although It's not real user friendly as sometimes the little clay bit break off... especially when they're vintage. Thanks for you visit Sweet Friend...Enjoy your day...Hugs

Karen said...

Hi Zaa,
Your Japanese teacup and teapot are so detailed and lovely. How interesting that you have been to Japan. My father had a business friend there and visited him many times. I have several gifts from him and they are such generous people. I would love to travel there but I have a fear of flying so I guess I will just have to have my tea parties here. Lol. Happy Tea Day Dear Friend! Karen

Snap said...

Your Japanese teapot (thanks for the information on Satsuma pottery) and your teacup are beauties! 98 years young! Wow! Happy Birthday to your MIL. I hope she enjoys the Chinese food! Happy Tea Day!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Yours is lovely. The Japanese teapot and cup are gorgeous!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Zaa,
Thank you so much for your recent visit and comment on my teacup blog win. I'm glad you liked my Limoges set, they only had the one setting, so that is it. Darn it!
Have a great week,
Gina

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Zaa: Thank you so much for your prayers. I am beginning to feel better. I that tea pot! I have never own one, not sure why, they are stunning. Have a wonderful week and thank you again. Hugs, Martha

Zaa said...

Dearest Karen .. How special that you've had the experience of their culture. I'm so happy to share their lovely art with you. my Friend... xoxoxo

Zaa said...

HeySnap .. She absolutely loves Chinese food... and was able to enjoy the evening ..Thanks for sharing teatime...Hugs

Zaa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zaa said...

Thanks for the vista Gina ..Please do come again...We have two gina's here so I'll have to set out to very different cups( ha ha0 Gina #1 and Gina #2... Hugs

Zaa said...

OMG Gina... We have two of you .. so since I've known you first ..You're Gina#1 ... just in case you can't find your place at teatime and of course you know your cup will be very special and vintage...Don't you !!!! Big Hugs

Zaa said...

Blessings Martha >> I've missed you ...So glad that you're feeling a little more chipper.... Lif is a journey .. but always time for tea and a chat..Thanks for the visit , Dear Lady... xoxox